So we know that animals swallow some strange things every now and then, but guess what? So do humans. Yes, even though were are at the top of the food chain, some pretty bizarre stuff still ends up in our bodies. Sometimes on accident, other times on purpose. Some pretty weird things have ended up on X-rays, such as this one. See that outline of a ring? Well, it didn't get there by accident...
Simon Hooper wanted to propose to his girlfriend (awww) and he thought an effective way to get a ring was to steal it by swallowing it (not awww). He was caught by police when they ran a metal detector over his stomach. To the future Mrs. Hooper: maybe ask twice before you put a ring from Simon on your finger. You don't know where it's been.
We all make mistakes at work. But for construction workers, a little mistake can be deadly. Take Patrick Lawler, for instance. Lawler is a construction worker who went to the doctor for a toothache. If only a toothache was the worst of Lawler's problems.
The dentist conducted an X-ray, which revealed that Lawler had somehow embedded a four-inch nail into his skull. Lawler traced the incident back to several days prior, when he had been using a nail gun. The really scary part is that Lawler had no idea that he'd done this. How does that even happen?
It's not too surprising to find weird things in a dog's stomach. They'll literally eat anything. Socks, bugs, jewelry, tampons, dirty underwear. Literally, anything. Dogs are man's best friend, but they're also kinda gross sometimes.
Take this pup, for instance. A bulldog named Prince Edward took too much of a liking to his owner's dentures. Sucks for the owner, because not only did he have to take his dog into the vet to get an X-ray, but he had to explain what happened without any teeth! Apparently the dentures had to be removed surgically, the dog was fine, and the owner got his teeth back (though I'm not sure I would want those anymore).
A man in Russia was taken to the hospital when he complained of severe pains in his chest. Doctors thought he had a tumor in his lungs and did surgery, only to find a small fir tree growing throughout the organ. Some think this is a hoax, but that has never been proven.
You'd think after three or four the dog would realize it wasn't such a great idea, but he swallowed a whopping nine pool balls before he decided that was enough. Maybe his owners were spending too much time playing pool instead of loving on him.
Margaret Daalman swallowed an entire set of cutlery: 78 pieces of metalware, forks and spoons. It was a compulsive habit she couldn't explain but, eventually, it caused her to have great stomach pain. (Huh! imagine that!) She was rushed into emergency surgery and all 78 pieces of cutlery were recovered and Ms. Daalman recovered.
A man went to the doctor complaining of a swollen foot, only to find out he had a parasitic worm living inside his ankle, and that it had most likely been there for years. The X-ray found two pieces of "guinea worm," parasites that can grow up to one meter long. The parasite infects people when they drink water infected with the larva. Female worms usually start in the abdomen and move to the legs and feet before they exit through the skin.
The pain caused by the parasite often causes people to try to sooth it with water, but if female worms come into contact with water, they will release the larvae, which sets off a whole new cycle of life for the parasites. In a word, "Ew."
An eight-year old kid, Haley Lents from Indiana, swallowed ten magnets and 20 steel balls from a Magnetix Toy Set because they looked like candy. Unfortunately, the magnets attracted, tearing several holes in her intestines.
Amy Preston was jogging while carrying her keys in her hands and landed on them when she fell, embedding her souvenir Eiffel Tower keychain in her hand. I have the same exact keychain! Good thing I never, ever, EVER jog.